I have returned from Mexico and all I can say is, "Wow!" I've been there before but for some reason this trip really effected me. I think because I was comfortable in the culture, and I knew a little spanish, I was able to really experience the Mexican people. They are so...well...happy! It's amazing because they have nothing (nothing at least by our Canadian standards) and yet they are so giving and humble. Anyways, our team of 10 built the house for the pastor and his family in 5 days. Pretty good seeing that none of us really knew what we were doing, except Brian (he's an electrician). We did everything but the plumbing and the last bit of drywall (since it couldn't be done before the plumbing, obviously). I worked on the roof for most of the week framing, hammering, shingling, etc. Imagine, if you can, 30 degree weather with about 10 degrees added humidity and being on top of a roof with hot, sticky, black shingles! Enough said...it was hot! I have tons of pictures and when I figure out how to upload them I will let you know.
After leaving Mexico (Rosarito, to be exact), we drove to San Diego for 2 days of relaxation. Our hotel, Ocean Park Inn, was right on Mission Beach! I rented a body board and attempted to surf the waves...I'm definitely not a natural! We spent the entire Sunday on the beach...Dean called it "attending Beach Baptist!" Monday, me and a few of my team members rented old-fashioned bicycles and travelled up and down the coast. Mine was pink! After we all went to the Gaslamp Quarter downtown San Diego to shop. (The Gaslamp is very similar to Whyte Ave. in Edmonton.) Cady and I tried to sneak into NBC studios but were unsuccessful. That evening we ate at the restaurant where they filmed the bar scene from Top Gun...what a dive...good barbeque, though.
Tuesday we travelled home and ended a great 9 day trip south! It was definitely an experience and I think I now have the bug for missions!