Wednesday, May 14, 2003
I was invited to a volunteer recognition dinner last night for the HRMAE and was blown away by the speaker. His name was Cam and he was introduced as a winner of a Yuk-Yuk Comedy award, a writer for the Edmonton Journal, and many other accolades to boast about. When he came up onto stage one thing caught my attention...Cam is in a wheelchair because of Cerebral Palsy. He told us about how he owes his life, literally, to volunteers who came over everyday for 5 years to help his parents with his exercises, speech therapy, and countless other things. 116 people came weekly to help his family for no other reason than to share their time with him. I was very encouraged by this and thought I would challenge you all to go out and volunteer. Cam said there was one point in his life where he couldn't find a job and he had to move back home with his parents...when his mom told him he should volunteer instead of sitting around all day, his response was, "I don't have the time!". Now, where have I heard that before...oh, right, me! So morale of this rant...volunteer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment