Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Where is El Nino?

...It's in Southern Ontario apparently! With record highs being reported for Sarnia and area for this time of year, Edmonton is getting slammed with record lows. Perhaps I took the sunshine with me when I moved! Sorry :( Today it is 15'C but we may get a few showers...Edmonton is -27'C. That's January weather!! Maybe it's payback for having such a mild winter last year.

On a non-weather related note, John and I are doing great in Brights Grove. Last night I played soccer and it was the usual non-competitveness that I have grown accustomed to. (I can't even shoot hard without getting reprimanded...they apologize when they strike the ball at the keeper!) One of the girls on my team did invite me to play on Sundays with a league she has set up that is a bit more competitive so I think I will. It starts in January.

The job is still going great and I am enjoying working with the people at Coffee Lodge. I still haven't heard about the job I interviewed for and I am applying for another position I found in the paper just for kicks....who knows.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the fun thing that happened on the weekend. So, John and I put together this fancy dinner for the United Way campaign Enbridge was doing and auctioned it off for a nice penny. The 2 people who bought it, with their 2 friends, came over for dinner on Saturday night and we had a blast eating the 5 courses that we prepared - bruschetta, procuitto on polenta crisps, proscuitto with melon, homemade mushroom soup, ceasar salad (with my mom's dressing), maple-glazed salmon with roasted potatoes and veggies, and tiramisu with homemade biscotti for dessert. The coolest thing about the evening was that one of our guests is famous! He is a musician from Sarnia and we found out that he has quite a following in the bluegrass stream. He has played the Grand Ole Opry more than 300 times! He was telling us that he was supposed to appear at a fesitval on Saturday night but he didn't because of our dinner. The next day, John was talking to our neighbor across the street who was at this festival because they were hoping to see our guest there. The festival organizer announced that he had a previous engagement...he was at our house! Now, I know it doesn't sound like much but it was pretty exciting to have a celebrity in the house, and he even promised to play at our restaurant if we ever choose to open one up! It was a great evening!

To Joc, Solange and Ang...try to find a wine called Cesari Amarone. It is a red but it was incredible!

4 comments:

Solange said...

Mmm,sounds like a solid meal! You Giacetti's need to make that for us one night when you are back! :)

Yes, it is still cold but apparently warming up to -7 tomorrow. I don't buy it!

Thanks for the choice of wine..we will have to try it!

Anonymous said...

Pretty exciting, but I've grown accustomed to entertaining celebrities...Ok I'm totally lying :) That's awesome.

As for the wine...done. Ang, girl's night is in order when Solange and I return from NYC. I'm all over red wine now. I bet you're surprised to hear that! Boy, how times have changed :)

Solange said...

Yes, between the red wine and the love for pointy shoes only?! Alot of change my friend! :)

Kim G said...

Wow, so much change Joc! And I've only been gone for 2 months! Who knows what will change when we move back to the AB!