Sunday, May 28, 2006

YC 2006

I went to a conference this weekend called YC (Youth Conference)...basically a bunch of concerts featuring Christian bands attended by 16,000+ youth. And, with the exception of some teenage girl drama and discovering that 2 of our youth went to the race track without our knowledge, the conference was great!

Saturday afternoon, I went to a session on disturbing teenage behavior and trends...do you know what jelly braclets/snap is?! If you do, shame on you! Also, just so you know, there is this new candy coming soon to Canada that is all the rage in the US. It's called "dope candy" and it is exactly what it sounds like...marijuana flavored candy. It is not addictive but it desensitizes kids to the taste of drugs so you can actually smoke pot and say, "mmm, tastes like candy"!

One downfall, though, of being at the conference all weekend is that I missed game 5 yesterday, but I have great friends and Solange text-messaged me with updates all night. You rock, Solange! It was great...I would get a text update about the game and then an in-house game of "telephone" would set in as the information was passed around the coliseum like wild fire. When the text came in, "Raffi scored! 2-1 for the oil", everyone around me cheered. As we waited for word on the finality of the game, I think there were others in Rexall that had their friends text them, too, because when Solange sent me, "Holy crap! We won! I shat!", there was a deafening excitement in Rexall almost as loud as if the Oilers were actually playing in there at that moment! It was very cool...students started running up and down the aisles high-fiving everyone, the chanting of "let's go Oilers" began, and I waited for the exuberant celebrations to get "stabby" but it never did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Problem Kim! :) People may have gotten stabby in Rexall that night but probably did on Whyte!

Dan King said...

thanks for sharing about YC - wasn't there this year, but I'm enjoying reading blog entries ...

Peace ...

::dan::

Anonymous said...

Um, what IS jelly bracelets/snap? I'm too old to know what that is, I think.

Glad you had a good time!